Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Tuna Noodle Casserole/Pasta

I just realized that this really isn't a casserole....or maybe it is?  If you bake it, I guess it could be called a casserole.  But I think it's really more like a pasta.

Whichever the case, this post is dedicated to my nieces.  They ADORE this dish and I ADORE  them so here goes...

Bug and Bean, this is for you gals!


I get a lot of credit/blame for introducing my nieces to not so healthy cuisine...shrugs.  My sister has always been really great about making sure they ate healthy.  Everything she fed them was organic and non-GMO, non-processed and no trans fats.  I worried for awhile when niece #1 insisted she only liked egg whites and hated the yolks (gasp!), but then I had a slight glimmer of hope when as a toddler, she ate butter like it was cheese at restaurants.  We resolved the egg white/egg yolk issue when I made her Hollandaise sauce (which is basically egg yolk and butter) and she loved it.  Whew, what a relief.  

I remember once when my niece #1 was little, I was babysitting and I made her a sandwich.  She took a bite, stopped, pointed at it and asked, "Eemo.  What's this?" (My nieces call me Eemo.  It means Aunt in Korean...of course for a while I was Mo-mo and then Elmo, but we got that straightened out.  Truth be old, I do miss them calling me Mo-mo.)

"It's a sandwich."

No.  What's THIS?"

Then I noticed she was pointing at the mayo.  

"It's mayonnaise."

"What's that? I've never had it before."

Uh oh. Crap.  I did it again. 

I'm also responsible for making them this dish for the first time EVER and of course, they LOVED it.  

All you need is:
1 pound of any kind of pasta (macaroni, rigatoni, rotelli spaghetti, egg noodles, seriously any kind).
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
1 can of tuna (I like tuna packed in water NOT oil)
cheddar cheese (shredded works best)
1 bag of frozen peas 
salt and pepper

Some people like to boil the pasta and mix all ingredients and bake it all in a casserole dish.  You can even top it with crushed potato chips or a butter and ritz cracker topping.  Me?  I like to do the least amount of dishes as possible, so I do this all in one pot.  Hence, Tuna Noodle Pasta (but I still call in casserole so clearly, I'm confused too).

In a large pot, bring water to a boil.  Cook your pasta until tender.  You can literally use ANY kind of pasta you have on hand.  The traditional way calls for egg noodles, but we're in no way traditional here so use whatever kind of pasta makes you happy.  

I used rigatoni this time...


bubble. bubble. bubble.




Just before I drain the pasta, I add the frozen peas right into the pot.  PLEASE PLEASE don't use canned peas.  Peas! Peas! Canned are just awful.  They are mushy and a weird color...unless you like that.  And if you do, sorry.  No judgement.  I used the whole 12 ounce bag.  I like peas.  You can use as much or as little as you want. It takes less than a minute for the peas to defrost.  Ding. Done.  You don't have to use peas if you don't want to.  Not everybody likes peas.


You can use frozen broccoli if you'd like.  Once I used broccoli because I didn't have any peas.  It's delicious that way too.  Niece #2 pitched a fit, but I think it was because 1) It's not what she's used to 2) She didn't like broccoli at the time and 3) She was just 4 years old.  

Then I drain all the pasta and peas into a colander.  It can sit in your sink for a bit while you move on.

I grab 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and add that into the pot with one can of drained tuna.  You don't have to use name brand here.  The Ralph's brand Cream of Mushroom works just fine too.  You can add a large family sized can if you'd like your pasta to be creamier.  Or even just a bit of milk.  Up to you.


Add 1 can of tuna  into the cream of mushroom soup.  I like to crush up the pieces of tuna, but you can leave them in chunks if you like them that way.



Add as much shredded cheddar cheese as you want and turn the heat on to medium low.


Stir until soup is hot and cheese is melted.  Salt and pepper to taste.

Then add your pasta and peas back into the pot, stir up and turn the heat off.

That's it!  It's done.  One pot.  Boom.


If you're paying attention this dish is also a close cousin to Chicken Rice and Broccoli Casserole and to Crack Casserole !!!!!

Btw, I text the above pic to my niece #1 and she text back, "Oh my Lord.  Is that tuna noodle casserole? !"  

I love you, Bean and Bug!!





No comments:

Post a Comment