Thursday, June 4, 2015

Elote/Sweet Corn Mexican Style/Easy!!

Sometimes, I take it for granted how lucky I am to live and eat in Los Angeles.  I have access to so much cultural wealth, that it never occurs to me that there are those who have never experienced the simple, sweet , street corn elote.  I can literally walk out on the street in front of where I work in Ktown/Pico Union and find an elote vendor within a minute.

Case in point, my nieces live in the OC and in their area they aren't really likely to walk out and see a street vendor selling sweet white corn slathered in delicious butter, mayo and Parmesan cheese.  The first time I bought this for them at a swap meet, I realized they had NEVER had this before.  And my heart hurt a little for them.  

But good news!  You can make this at home!  

You have some choices.  You can either eat it on the cob or cut the corn off the cob and eat in a bowl with a spoon.  I like both ways, but in this post, I'm going to show you how to make one serving to eat at home off the cob and in a bowl.



I plastic wrap one ear of WHITE corn.  You can do it with yellow corn, but trust me...it won't be as good or sweet as with white corn.  You can also steam the corn, but I'm going to show you how to make one single snack serving using a microwave.



I nuked it on high for 3 minutes.

Carefully unwrap it.  It is HOT!  Cut the kernels off the cob using a sharp knife.


Add all your corn into a bowl and add black pepper, paprika, half a tablespoon of mayo or sour cream...or both.  No judgement.  You can even add a bit of real butter....mmmm. butter....


Sprinkle as much or as little Parmesan cheese in.


Squeeze in some lemon juice.


Mix it up and spoon it into your face while the corn is warm.  That's it!


I really love to eat this as a side to enchiladas.  You could make a really large batch and use it as a side dish.

If you want to eat it ON the cob, just slather all your ingredients onto a hot ear of corn and chow down.


No comments:

Post a Comment