Wednesday, June 24, 2015

EASY Roasted Baby Potato Salad with Bacon and Grilled Onion

HI!  Remember me?  I'm the girl who LOVES all things potatoes.  I think the majority of my recipes on this blog have potatoes involved.  They inspire me and I've yet to run out of potato themed recipes.  Here's one I made up for potato salad that can be served warm or cold.  It doesn't involve mayo, but it can if you want to.  I like that version of potato salad too, but I don't think mayo based potato salad goes with everything. This version goes great as a side to hamburgers and hot dogs but also goes great with a nice prime rib or steak.  This recipe also involves bacon...hello, this is me we're talking about.  But you can leave it out if you want a veggie version.



It all starts with this bag of Peewee Potatoes I found at the store.  


See how tiny they are?  Sooooo cute. We're gonna roast them in the oven.


I washed them and then patted them dry with a paper towel.  
You don't have to worry about getting them completely dry. 


Then I poured them into a baking pan and drizzled with olive oil.


Season with black pepper.


I used a bit of kosher salt.


Toss it all around so that they all get a nice coating of the oil, salt and pepper.


Pop it in the oven for 20-25 minutes at 400 degrees.  You could boil them but they won't have that nice roasted flavor.  I've also baked potatoes in a crock pot before and that would work just fine here too.  If you're using a crock pot, follow all the same steps but instead of the baking pan, pour them into a crock pot and turn on low for 4 hours (don't forget to coat with oil and season with salt and pepper).

While your Peewees are roasting, I fry up some bacon.  You could skip the bacon...but I'm not going to.  I like to fry the bacon until it's crispy.  I like crispy bacon.  A lot.  



In the same pan that I used for frying the bacon, I pour out the bacon fat.  I leave about a tablespoon or so and saute one small chopped onion.  Yes.  In the bacon fat.  

I add a little bit of seasoning salt and pepper for flavor.  I'm a big believer in seasoning as I cook.


Saute on medium low until your onions are nice and caramelized.



By now, your Peewee potatoes are probably done, so pull them out of the oven.  They look like this.  MMMMMMMM!


Throw your warm onions and potatoes into a large bowl so they can become friends.


I like my potato salad to be more on the tangy side.  Since we're adding crumbled bacon, I like to add a vinegar based dressing to add a hint of acid to help balance the nice, fatty bacon.  I love this kind of dressing, but you can add any kind of Italian dressing.  I add about a tablespoon.


I also like my potato salad to be just a bit creamy, so I add a tablespoon of Caesar dressing.  You could use ranch or even blue cheese or nothing other than the Italian dressing if you wanted.  


Yum....creamy.


I toss it all together.


Crumble your bacon and toss so they can become friends with the potatoes and onions too.


This can be served warm with a nice steak or piece of prime rib.  It even works served cold at a good ole burger or hot dog. 

Don't be afraid to experiment with these potatoes.  They are also great roasted, cut in half and topped with a bit of sour cream and chives and BACON for a simple appetizer.   Throw them in soups.  You could even mash them up, but I like to highlight their little, perfect bite sized shape. 

Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment