Sunday, February 1, 2015

Crack Casserole (Hash Brown Casserole)



I'm not sure where I learned how to make this.  I think I learned this as broccoli casserole first (with ritz cracker crust no less) and was told that I could substitute hash browns and the rest is history!  Who actually dubbed it Crack Casserole I don't remember.  But the name speaks for itself.  Something you shouldn't eat much of, but you can't help but gorge on. I've had friends ask me to make it for them as a bday gift...



 I have a thing for what I call Americana Cuisine.  Or formerly but affectionately known to me as White Trash Cuisine.  Someone pointed out to me that the former name could be considered offensive.  So Americana it is.

Growing up in a household where traditional Korean food was served, I learned to adore lunches at school. School lunches are so different than they were before.  We got hot meals that the kitchen staff made on site.  These wondrous meals included the likes of tuna noodle casserole, square pizza, Salisbury steak, pork and beans. and I adored them all.  Still do.

Crack casserole is the epitome of Americana Casserole.  It has three main ingredients:

Frozen hash browns, shredded cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar cheese) 
and cream of mushroom soup.
 Sour cream is optional.


I add sour cream because it adds a little bit of a tang.  Yum.


I never thought I'd post a how to for Crack Casserole.  It doesn't really involve any real cooking.  But I've had a few people tell me that despite my explaining what to do, their attempts at making crack casserole hasn't turned out the way mine does....This confirms my suspicions that this really is crack and I'm the Walter White of the crack casserole world.  Well, never fear Jesse Pinkman, you will master the making of crack casserole shortly.

I should point out, if you haven't noticed, that the ingredients I'm working with are a three pound bag of frozen hash browns and a mega sized cream of mushroom can purchased at my local Smart n Final.  Today just happens to be Super Bowl Sunday and I've been asked to bring my crack casserole.  I'm making enough for 15 people.  I hope.  If you're making this, you probably don't want to end up with a four pound crack casserole (or maybe you do...no judgement).  

So you can just use 2 regular sized cans of cream of mushroom soup, one standard bag of frozen hash browns that you find at a regular supermarket and you'll end up with a hash brown casserole that feeds about 6.  I think.  (I've made a megazilla batch that included TWO 3 pound bags of hash browns for a work potluck and it didn't feed everyone.....it's crack, I tell ya.)

The other ingredients you'll need are: 



If you are making a normal sized batch, you can mix all your ingredients in a large bowl and then transfer into a rectangular baking pan.  But since I'm making a mega batch, I mix all my ingredients directly  in the baking pan I'll be using to cook my crack casserole.

Add the cream of mushroom soup in first then add your shredded cheese.  I used about half the 2 pound bag of shredded cheese.  Yes.  You read that right.  Go big.  Or go home. If you're doing a regular sized batch two cups should be about right (it's really as much or little as you want.  I like cheese. I use a lot.  I like my crack creamy so I use a lot of soup.  You decide).


I also add my seasoning now.  Mix well.  I've found that it's easier to mix your wet ingredients first and then add your hash browns.  I also add about 1 cup of sour cream.  For your regular sized casserole I would add about 2 heaping spoonfuls.


Once everything is nice and evenly mixed, I add my frozen hash browns.  I don't add the entire bag at once.  I add about a third and mix and continue until everything is mixed and coated in wonderful cheese goo.  Then repeat until the entire bag has been added.


My uncooked crack looks like this:


I use a large spoon to spread it all evenly and that's it.  


Put in your preheated oven at 350 degrees until it's bubbling and melted.  It should take about 40 minutes or so. You can put it on broil for the last minute or so to get a nice browned top.  


Just a little tip,  the crisped edges are the best and will stick to the pan....More for you to scrape off later!
Unless you're at a party with Kim Merino, cuz she'll scrape all of it off and eat it. I have a pic of it somewhere...





Believe it or not, I think this recipe also calls for melted butter to be added in, but I started leaving it out and never noticed a difference so I don't use it anymore.
You should also try it with frozen broccoli in place of hash browns because I love it that way too.  

I should mention you can also add finely minced onion to the mix.  That tastes amazing. 
If you find your batch is too large (pshh, right.), you can freeze it and it defrosts well.   If you have leftovers, you can smear it on bread and make cracked out ham sandwiches.  Holy Crap those are delish.

Okay. Enough.  Crack Casserole.  Now you know.  With great power comes great responsibility...

I'm off to eat my way through another Super Bowl!  Tah!












No comments:

Post a Comment