Saturday, May 9, 2015

Super Easy and Quick Green Chile Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas/Lasagna

I have this love affair with sour cream.  I love it!  It makes everything taste so good.  You can use it to top things or you can use it to make your sauces delightful and decadent.  In this blog, I'll show you how to make it into a sauce with green chili and use it as a creamy enchilada sauce. Super easy and yum-o-la.


For the sauce:
1 tablespoon butter
3 tablespoon flour
2 cups of chicken stock
1 can of green chili
fresh jalapeno or serrano chili (optional)
1 cup of sour cream

For the filling:
1 any color bell pepper (I used red and yellow)
1 medium onion
shredded rotisserie chicken (I used Costco)
Monterey Jack Cheese or any white cheese 
seasoning salt and pepper

I start out by making the filling first.  I used one yellow, one red bell pepper and one medium onion.  I cut them into even sized strips.  You can dice them if you want. 


In a skillet or non-stick pan, saute your peppers and onions in some olive oil over medium heat.


I love Lawry's seasoning salt, but you can use regular salt.



Add black pepper


When the peppers and onion are soft, like this:


add your shredded chicken.


Turn off heat and stir your chicken and peppers.  Set aside.


In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt your butter.


Add 3 tablespoons of flour and cook for about a minute.  This is exactly like making a roux.


I used chicken broth that I made myself. You can check out the recipe here.  Or you can just use store bought.  Add 2 cups of broth into your butter flour roux a little bit at a time.  Make sure to whisk constantly.  I use a spoon.  You can use a fork or whisk.  Your choice.


Add a little bit to start.


Then a little more...


Until you end up with chicken gravy.


I add some more black pepper now  I love pepper.


Then I grabbed this small can of diced green chile and threw the entire can in.  Well...I opened it first and threw in the contents.  Not the actual can.


Dump it all in.  Juice and all.


And this part is optional, but I like to use additional chili.  I happened to have serrano.  It was super spicy so I just used half. How did I know it was super spicy?  I licked the end of the chili (the part you cut off and throw away).  I know.  Genius.


I finely diced it and


threw it all into my chicken gravy.  Simmer on low for about a minute. Then remove from heat.


Make sure your chicken green chili gravy is no longer boiling or bubbling.  Then add half a regular sized container of sour cream into your gravy.  It's super important that your sauce isn't boiling or bubbling when you add your sour cream.  If it is, the sour cream doesn't melt correctly and you end up with lumpy, curdled sauce.



Plop it in there!  Bam.


See?  It melts so nice.


Your green chile sauce looks like this.


Taste and if needed, add some seasoning salt.


I grabbed a 9x13 inch pan,


and poured in about a third of my sauce.  Spread it around with a spoon.  Lick the spoon.  
Just kidding (but not).


You can either use corn or flour tortillas.  I like them both but used corn.  There's something about the corn tortilla and the way it soaks up the yummy sauce. OR you can use half corn and half flour tortilla!  


For some reason, I totally suck at rolling enchiladas.  I can't get the enchiladas to stay closed.  And I also hate taking the time to dip them in hot oil, which helps in the rolling process but is just too much for me to do.  So...I just layer the tortillas and the filling and sauce and just make a layered enchilada lasagna.  

First I lay down 6 tortillas...


Then I spread about half the chicken and pepper filling on top of the tortillas.


I used Monterey Jack cheese.  You can use any cheese you want, but I prefer using a white cheese.  It seems to go better with the sauce.  If you have shredded cheese, add it on top of the filling.  I happened to have slices so I just ripped it up and placed on top.  Use as much or little cheese as you want.



Then I added another third of the sauce on top of the cheese.


Repeat the process...filling, cheese, sauce.  I topped with leftover sauce.


Then just for giggles, I added some Colby Jack cheese on top and baked at 350 for about 20 minutes or until it's all melted and bubbly.  Let it sit for a few minutes to firm up before cutting into.


I like to serve it with a a nice salad tossed in vinaigrette dressing.  I really do!  I'm not just saying that to make it sound healthy.  I like the salad with vinaigrette because it adds a nice balance to the creamy cheese and sauce....but you can also serve it with beans and rice because nobody will judge you.  Trust.


I should also add that you can use any veggies you want.  I really like it onions and mushrooms, but the Indian doesn't like mushrooms.  Oh sad.  You also don't even have to use meat.  You can just do veggies and cheese and its delicious too.  


No comments:

Post a Comment