Monday, May 18, 2015

Faux Latkes using Cauliflower instead of Potatoes

So these actually started out as Cauliflower Crust for pizza, but right in the middle of it, I thought I'd rather fry them up instead of bake them.  Sometimes I'm like that.  I'll get inspiration in the middle of things or actually DREAM up foods to make...it must be my fat gurl power.  I couldn't be prouder.  I can't imagine losing the ability to dream up recipes....



So follow the recipe for Cauliflower Pizza Crust by clicking on this link here.  When you get to the part where you squeezed out the liquid from your cooked cauliflower rice....STOP.

And continue here:

So after adding the cheese and egg, I also finely mince some onion.  I used about half a small onion for this recipe.  You can use as much or little as you want, but keep in mind that you'll want to mince your onion into very small pieces to ensure that they cook during the frying process.



I added my minced onion to the mix and also added crushed bacon that I had already cooked until it was crispy...everybody say it with me, "Mmmmm.  Bacon."  I really like these even without bacon, but I stand a better chance of getting the Indian to eat them if I say, "Oh I made blah blah blah with bacon."  At least that's how I'm sure he hears it...


For this batch, I used 4 slices of bacon.  But I cooked 5 slices.  For some reason, some of the bacon goes missing so I always make extra....just in case.

Mix everything up together until you end up with a bunch of cheesy, bacony, eggy goo.


Then over medium heat, I add olive oil to a non-stick frying pan and when the oil is heated, I spoon the mixture into the frying pan like this:


You can use your hands to form patties, but I like the free form blops.  I like the way the irregular edges look.


You can use your spoon to flatten out, but that will happen when you flip them too.




You'll notice the edges starting to brown....You'll also notice the divine smell....mmmmm.


When the edges start to brown, it's time to flip them over!



These brown fairly quickly. 

You can eat these with sour cream and apple sauce.  They taste just like potato latkes to me.


Here's a little tip, too.  You don't have to fry the entire batch.  I just did enough to eat as a side with dinner and put the rest of the mixture in an air tight container for future use.  You can keep in the fridge for a few days and fry small batches at a time.  Or you can do them all and eat them in one sitting....And dog gone it, wouldn't you know it?  These are no carb, gluten free and even paleo if you're into that kind of thing.



No comments:

Post a Comment