Sunday, March 22, 2015

Left Over Saag Paneer Egg Quiche

So this is kind of an interesting post for me.  I didn't actually make the Saag Paneer. But I guess it's a creative use of leftovers to make another dish.  Kind of like using a can of refried beans as a short cut.  I don't know.  Maybe I'm just babbling.

This is how I use leftover Saag Paneer.  I adore Indian food.  The Indian doesn't like Indian food.
(HAHAHAHA.  That sounded funny).  He likes Chicken Tikka, samosas and Tandori Chicken, but not the curries or dishes I like.  So when we eat Indian food, I'm on my own for most dishes.  After 2 or three days of eating leftovers, I get kind of tired of them.  So this is what I came up with for Saag Paneer left overs.

For those who aren't familiar with Indian food, Saag Paneer is a curried spinach dish.  Essentially, it is like creamed spinach but curried and has a great flavor.   I started thinking about spinach quiche and thought why not?  So this is how this kicked up spinach quiche idea came about.



 I like the idea of fusion food.  But sometimes, one of the two sides gets lost in the fusing.  I think that when you take two really dynamic flavors and try to mix them together, you risk one of those flavors getting lost or muted.  So i LIKE the idea of fusion, but rarely find fusion food that I really enjoy.  This is one of the fusion dishes that I think comes out pretty well.  Since quiche is pretty mild, it doesn't compete with the Saag Paneer.  It just kind of gets kicked up a notch.  I'm also a huge fan of Thai Chicken Prik King quesadillas...I'll have to post that soon.

Here's what you need for the party:
1-2 cups of leftover Saag Paneer
3 eggs
onion or leek
milk or cream

I happened to have some leeks on hand so I cleaned and washed one stalk thoroughly.  You can use onion if you'd like or none at all.  You can read about how I wash leeks here.  Take care when washing leeks or you'll be eating dirt and that's no fun.

I chopped them into even slices.


Over medium heat, saute your leeks with olive oil.  Season with pepper.


Add just a little bit of seasoning salt.


When the leeks are soft and translucent.  Turn off heat and set aside.


In a large bowl, I crack three eggs.


I add just a splash of milk and whip up with a fork.


Then I added my leeks to the egg party.


Now I add my leftover Saag Paneer.  This was about 2 cups.  This is the most leftover Saag Paneer I've used.  Usually it's closer to about 1 cup.  I guess I just got left over-ed out faster this time.  It made the quiche much greener than usual, but still delish.  I guess I could have used more egg to make a larger quiche, but the point is to use up leftovers....not create more food to then have as leftovers....right? Then I'd have to come up with something to do with the quiche that is left over. Oy.


I whipped it up.  It looked gross.  AHAHA.


I opted not to use a crust for this and poured directly into a pie pan.

I snapped this pic because I was amused by how much it puffed up.  Sorry for the quality of the pic.  I snapped it through the window on my oven because I knew it would fall when I opened the oven door.


This is what it looks like after being baked on 375 degrees for 40 minutes.


I've also used more eggs and less Saag Paneer before.  It all really depends on how much I have left over.  I've also poured the batter into muffin tins and made individual egg muffins too.  I like to serve these with a side of home potatoes.

Aaaaand you guessed it.  The Indian won't eat this either.  So I'll take it to work and share with my friends.   

Oh and by the way:

Leftover vs. left over

The one-word, unhyphenated leftover is usually an adjective preceding the noun it modifies (e.g.,leftover pasta). When it follows the noun it modifies, left over is usually two words (e.g., there’s some pasta left over). Leftover also works as a noun, usually pluralized (e.g., save the leftovers). 

Learning stuff.  It's cool.  


No comments:

Post a Comment