Thursday, February 5, 2015

Quick Home Fries-Chili Oil Style



When I was a kid, I was notorious in my family for my love of potatoes.
I seriously could eat potatoes everyday.  For every meal.  You think I'm kidding, don'tya? I am not.

The family joke (aside from the "We found you next to a trash can" one) was that I should grow up and marry a potato farmer....Oh families.


The result of my potato obsession is my inherent knack for knowing how to cook potatoes in amazing, delicious ways.  I mean, I still have potato recipes yet to be made up.  I can make home fries a hundred different ways.  Once, on a family vacation, I made breakfast for the entire time we were vacationing and my niece was just amazed at all the different ways I came up with making breakfast potatoes.  I am the potato master....Yes.  This is my super power, if you will.

Without further ado, here is one of my many, many versions of breakfast potatoes that you can have for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack, you name it.



Here's what you'll need:

 olive oil
 half a chopped onion
 half a chopped bell pepper
 half jalapeno finely diced
 seasoning salt of your choice
 black pepper
 cooked potatoes!!!! Yes! 3-4 should be ample.


In cooking, starting with onion, celery and carrots is called mirepoix.  For me, my mirepoix is onion, bell pepper and jalapeno...just saying.

These guys are good friends in my house.  They even sit next to each other on the same shelf...


Po-Tae-Toes!!  




Sorry.  Couldn't resist.  I use left over baked potatoes and if I don't have any, I just throw a few in the microwave and nuke 'em.  



Start with about a tablespoon or so of olive oil and on medium heat, begin to saute your onion, bell pepper, and jalapenos.  Season with pepper and seasoning salt.

While those are cooking, chop up your cooked potatoes.  You can off course use uncooked potatoes, I have a another version of potatoes that starts with uncooked potatoes.  It works wells with raw too, but if using raw then I would suggest you cube them smaller so they cook faster and remember to keep your cubes uniform and as close to the same size as possible to ensure even cooking.


When your veggies begin to look kind of translucent, add your chopped potatoes into the skillet and remember to season with pepper and seasoning salt.


I also add about a teaspoon of chili oil that I make at home.  You can also add chili garlic sauce, Tabasco, Frank's Red Hot Sauce, or any kind of spicy sauce you want.  



I saute everything together and that's it! 


Because you started with already cooked potatoes, all you need to do is make sure the potatoes get covered in onion, pepper and jalapeno deliciousness and that's it!  If it seems a little dry, add more oil or a tablespoon of water.  I love that this recipe is super fast to make.  




You can serve them with bacon and eggs like this:



I love to add them into tortillas with cheese and make potato tacos.  All Purpose Green Hulk Sauce is delicious over these potatoes too!

This recipe makes enough for one....me.  Or 4 servings for normal folks.





No comments:

Post a Comment