Sunday, March 1, 2015

Shrimp and Sausage Over Creamy Polenta



I love Shrimp and Grits.  A lot.  Except I didn't have any grits...I only had yellow corn meal.  So polenta it is!  What's the difference you ask?  Well, for starters, grits are made using white corn meal and polenta is made from yellow.  In Italy it's known as polenta.  In the south, it's known as grits.  I think it has to do with the type of corn mean and how fine it's milled.  But anyway, I only had yellow corn meal so I made polenta.

Polenta:
4 cups milk (you can use water if you want)
1 cup corn meal
shredded cheese (optional)


In a sauce pan, I start to heat 2 cup of milk on medium.


I add the 1 cup corn meal into the other 2 cups of milk.  Why?  Well then you can add your milk corn meal mixture into the warming milk without too many lumps forming.  If you like your polenta thicker, add some more corn meal,


Add your milk corn meal mixture into the sauce pan with your heated milk.

Stir constantly for 4-5 minutes on medium low.


I like it to be this consistency:


Add about 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese.


Cheesy and creamy polenta!  But the cheese is optional.  The shrimp and sausage is so tasty, you don't realllly need it...But it is tasty!


Cover and set aside.

Now onto the sausage and shrimp you'll be using to top your polenta or grits (if you made grits).

You'll need:
kielbasa sausage
raw shrimp (about 16)
Cajun seasoning
butter
crushed garlic
Worcester sauce
beef or chicken stock

Okay.  This is gonna go super fast so get ready.

In a skillet over medium, add your sliced kielbasa sausage.  I used about this much:


It's about the length of my thumb.

I sliced diagonally like this:


Saute but don't brown your sausages:


Then add 1 tablespoon of butter.  Real butter, of course.


When the butter is melted, add about half a tablespoon of crushed garlic.


Season with pepper.


And this stuff.  It will add a nice kick.  I added about a teaspoon.


Add in about 2 tablespoons of Worcester sauce.


Then throw in your raw shrimp.


Saute up for a few minutes until your shrimp is cooked.  I'd say 4-5 minutes.  Don't overcook your shrimp.  They will just become tough.


Lastly, add in about half a cup of broth (beef or chicken). I used beef.  It makes the most beautiful sauce....


I'm actually not sure why I used a spoon for this pic, but you get the point use 1/2 cup of broth.



Fill a bowl with a portion of your polenta and top with shrimp and sausage.  Don't forget to drizzle your delicious, velvety sauce on top.  


From start to finish, both the polenta and the shrimp and sausage took 10 minutes.  Boom!  

This recipe will make about 4 servings with each serving having 2 pieces of sausage and about 4 pieces of shrimp.  If you want more shrimp, just cook more.  Mmmmmm.  






No comments:

Post a Comment