Tuesday, January 20, 2015

All purpose Green Hulk sauce

This recipe was given to me by a very dear friend of mine.  She was generous enough to share it with me.  I've modified it a bit, but credit goes to Steph and Dante of Betty's Authentic American Burgers.  If you're ever in Rosarito, Mexico you should most def stop by and check out their incredible food.

To check out their FB page click here.

So this green sauce is a take on Peruvian Aji sauce.  Except it doesn't have lettuce in it and it doesn't use the Amarillo chiles. I'm calliing it "all purpose" because it really can be used for dipping sauce, sandwich spread, on chicken, fish, beef, on potatoes, used as salsa on tacos, quesadillas....seriously it goes on and on. Sometimes, I wake up in the middle of the night to eat a spoonful out of the fridge before going back to bed. I'm also calling it Hulk sauce because...well I'm always angry.   Ha ha, but not.



To make one batch you will need:

1 large, fresh bunch of cilantro
1 large yellow onion
1 whole clove of garlic (or as much or little as you want...Of course.  But c'mon.  Go big or go home.)
2-3 jalapenos (depends on how spicy you like it)
mayo or Salvadorean cream
water
kosher salt
black pepper


The spiciness of this sauce depends on how spicy your jalapenos are.  So here's a little trick I use.  Not for  the faint of heart.  After washing the jalapenos, I take a knife and slice of the stem and a little of the top. Take the stem you just cut off and carefully lick the top of the jalapeno that you just sliced off.  Not the part you're going to use.

Yes.  Lick the tip of the jalapeno stem.

You're going to throw it out anyway and it will give you an immediate sense of how spicy it is.  If you can't handle spice and don't enjoy the burn like I do, keep a glass of milk handy.  You don't have to make out with it.  Just a quick lick. It won't take much for you to figure out if its spicy or not.  If you'd rather do a non-spicy version, just cut out the seeds and capsaicin (white membrane with the seeds).

Okay.  Moving on.  Slice your jalapenos in half and along with your coarsely chopped up onion and whole garlic, grill them in a cast iron pan with olive oil on medium heat until everything is soft.





After washing and slicing off the stems of the cilantro, throw in the cilantro and your roasted onion, jalapeno, and garlic into a blender.




It already smells incredible.  I should mention these pics are from a TRIPLE batch....because that's how I roll.


Add a heaping spoonful or two of mayo or Salvadorean cream.  I prefer the Salvi cream.  It's like a really rich sour cream and it doesn't have a lot of chemicals in it if you get it from a Latino store.  But if you don't have access to it, mayo works just as well.  I love mayo.  I even dip my fries in it...but that's for another post I suppose.

Add as much salt and pepper as you like.
Start the blender on low and move your way up as you start adding water, but first put the lid on your blender. Because eating it is so much better than cleaning it off your walls. Pour the water through the hole in the lid.  Add water slowly until you have the desired consistency.  More water if you like it thinner, less if you like it thicker.  I'm someplace in the middle.  Also, feel free to add more mayo or cream if you like it creamier.  When using it for dipping sauce I like it creamier.


Ta-dah!!! Green sauce for eating, dipping, drizzling, slathering, dunking and sharing...





Here's an example of the green sauce on a prime rib hash with egg





and as a dipping sauce to potato skin chips....it's divine.  Enjoy!







2 comments:

  1. This looks amazing!! Thank you for the step-by-step guide.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is fantastic. I'm not tough enough (yet?) to add the jalapenos, but even without the heat this sauce is delicious. Thanks Sarah!

    ReplyDelete