Monday, April 6, 2015

Costco Rotisserie Chicken Stock

This started out as a chicken soup post.  But I thought I should do a separate post on how I use Costco rotisserie chicken to make my own stock.  Has anybody NOT tried the rotisserie chicken at Costco?  It is probably the best chicken I've ever had plus its super cheap.




I have a confession to make.  I think I buy it just so I can boil down the carcass to make chicken stock...actually, come to think of it, I think I also make bone in prime rib roast so I can boil down the bones to make stock.  Hmmm.  Not sure why I am so obsessed with making my own stock.  It is so easy to do and the results are divine.  So why not?  I use the stock that I make for a lot of my food and I really think it makes a huge flavor difference.   I get a lot of credit from my friends who have tasted my Korean jjuk (죽/porridge/congee), but it's good only because I use the stock from this recipe.   


I also love Costco chicken because it's hormone free and steroid free.  See?


Back to the chicken...I think I buy it to make meals out of it.  We rarely eat it as a meal.  But when we do, I usually serve it with tortillas and beans.  Sort of like a home version of El Pollo Loco.  Then the real magic happens.

For someone who hates dealing with raw chicken, it amazes me that I actually don't mind getting my hands into the cooked chicken.  I still wash everything like crazy because I'm scared of salmonella, but that threat doesn't seem as severe with cooked chicken...I know.  I know.  I have problems.

I usually refrigerate the chicken overnight or for a few days until I can get to it.  I wash my hands, take off all my jewelry, and just tear into it.  I am really surprised at how much meat I can get off the entire chicken.  Did you know there's a part on poultry that's called the oyster?  I first heard Bobby Flay mention that so I looked it up.  There is always these highly sought after parts on food.  Sorry.  I totally digress.

You can read more about it here if you're interested.  

I put the chicken meat in one container and the bones and skin and everything else in a huge stock pot filled with water.

I couldn't take a pic of the process because 1) its messy and I use both hands to do it and 2) I have to fight off the little carnivore I live with.  Once she catches on that I'm wrestling with Costco chicken, it's game over.

 She LOVES Costco chicken too.


Here is all the meat.  Good for chicken salad, chicken curry, chicken enchiladas, chicken nachos, chicken soup, chicken a la king, chicken....well, er, yes.  You get the idea.  We almost had a Forrest Gump moment there.


And here are most of the bones and everything else.


I throw it all in a pot to boil on medium.  Even the weird chicken jello on the bottom of the container.  Yes, that too.  Its all flavor.  Cover with a lid and go do something else for at least an hour.


Your house will smell wonderful.  After an hour or more, I turn off the heat.  I have one of these strainer thingamabobs.  I love it.  I skim out all the skin and bones.


The strainer gets all the teeny, tiny pieces too!


I transfer all of it back into the container that the chicken came in.


Package it all up and throw it away!!! Outside.



And you're left with this rich, buttery, and delicious broth.


What about all the glossy fat on top?  Refrigerate over night and the fat will harden on top of your broth.  Just use a spoon to scrape it away.  Don't be alarmed if your stock is gelatinous when cooled.  That's just because of the collagen from the bones and stuff.  Chicken jello.  Good stuff, Maynard.

Divide into containers and freeze for later use.  Genius.



You can apply this same principal to turkey, rib roasts, etc.  Or even chunks of brisket meat.  It's really not that hard to make your own stock.  I've even used shellfish to make a seafood stock and it makes a HUGE difference in my jambalaya.  Give it a try.








No comments:

Post a Comment