Saturday, January 24, 2015

Hawaiian Shrimp Scampi



I spent a week on Maui in January.

I was there for 7 amazing days and while there, I hit the Geste Shrimp truck a grand total of THREE times.
MMMMMMM.  I've been to Giovanni's Shrimp Truck on Oahu and pretty much eaten my weight in shrimp.  But for me, Geste Shrimp Truck just rings my bell.  If I could eat this shrimp everyday, I would.  In fact, I got hit with a pretty bad craving for it today.  So, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Here's a pic of the Geste version:







Here's a pic of me at the happiest place on earth:



First, repeat after me.

    "I am not afraid of butter.  I am not afraid of butter."

Your turn.....okay.  Ready?

Don't be afraid of butter.  Margarine, yes.  Butter, no.  Make sure you're using real butter and not margarine or any of that pretend butter.  Great food comes from using great ingredients and I think you can taste the difference.  Plus, I know what's in butter.  Not margarine though...okay moving on.


Here's the spread:


1 stick of butter
crushed garlic
black pepper
paprika
Cajun seasoning
frozen raw shrimp (you can use fresh, unfrozen-just make sure you clean and devein them. I would rather not so frozen already deveined works just fine for me)
lemon
Optional* sambal chili sauce or chili flakes for SPICE


For the record, I used this entire 2 pound bag of frozen, raw shrimp from Smart and Final.  This one was peeled with tail on.  They also have raw, frozen with shell on.  That's how they do it at the Geste Shrimp Truck and I thought about it for a hot second...but I just want to eat them as fast as I can so I didn't get shell on.  I got the large 41-50 count sized shrimp.  Next time, I might get the jumbo 14-16 count sized shrimp.  But this bag was on sale so I got it...okay, two bags.  Shhhhh.


I defrosted the shrimp in a bowl while I was making crab mac salad to go with my shrimp (drool!!) and I'll post that recipe later.


In a large skillet, I melted one entire stick of butter and added a heaping scoop of crushed garlic.  Again, I used chopped garlic I get at the Korean market.  It discolors over time but doesn't go bad and does not have any preservatives added.  Literally, it is just garlic.  See?



How much garlic did I use?  About this much:


I live by the words, "As much or little as you want" and they clearly apply in this case (and probably in every recipe I ever post).  But I think it's safe to say a ton of garlic is appropriate here.

Saute the garlic until it starts to turn brown but careful not to burn it. If you do, start over.  You'll never fix the bitter, burnt taste.  Then add a heaping spoonful of paprika and about a teaspoon or two of the Cajun seasoning.  The Cajun seasoning is where the spice is, so for me, the mo' the bettah.  




Then squeeze in the juice of half of a lemon (don't forget to roll it on the counter using the palm of your hand to make it warm and squishy before you cut it-you'll get more of the juice out of it).  Hit the mixture with a good amount of black pepper now too.

If you want to make this spicy add some sambal chili sauce or crushed chili flakes now.


The Geste Shrimp Truck also does this INCREDIBLE spicy pineapple shrimp and IF I had ripe, fresh pineapple, I would have had some cubed chunks ready to go and would have added it now.  Right now.  Oh yeah.  (SUE JOHNSON!  I told ya I'd make sure to point out when to add pineapple.  Here.  Here.)  Please don't use canned pineapple...well, I guess you can, but it won't be as good.  I promise.

Add the thawed shrimp to your glorious, wonderful, garlic smelling, simmering concoction now...I'll be right back.  I have to go eat some more shrimp....


Okay.  I'm back from the kitchen.  

I use my wooden spoon to make sure the shrimp is all cooking in a single layer so every piece of shrimp gets a chance to soak up the garlic and flavor.  Every single piece.  Not one left behind.  And I added about a tablespoon or so of olive oil...


Let the shrimp simmer on high for about a minute or two and then stir around so it gets a chance to cook for another minute on the other side.  Shrimp will start to curl and turn pink.  I don't believe in over cooking shrimp, so if you want to cook yours longer, feel free.  But I think 3 minutes on high is more than ample.  



That's it.  


Now.  Lock the door.  Turn off your phone.  Eat.  I served mine with a scoop of brown rice and a scoop of real crab mac salad.  Don't be afraid to drizzle the rice with the chunks of garlic and glorious butter sauce.  It can serve about four people...or just me.  For serial.

Eat over pasta if you don't want to eat rice or forgo the rice and pasta and just eat it with some good, crusty bread.

And until I can get back to Maui and the Geste Shrimp Truck, this will most definitely do for now.



















7 comments:

  1. I posted it comment and it disappeared.

    Love this post! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. let me know how it turns out!!! I'm excited!

      Delete
  2. Omg I'm totally trying out this recipe! I'm salivating right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geste Shrimp is the best shrimp truck by far. My fiance and I tried Giovanni's because there is so much hype and we thought it was horrible. Thanks for the recipe, I'm excited to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you like it! Let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  4. What about the srircha sauce? Trying this tonight and my wifecsays they splashed with srircha sauce and mixed it up at the end

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes if you get the spicy from geste they add Sriracha to the scampi.

    ReplyDelete